Since 9-11-01 our sense of safety and security was shattered. Our role models have changed. The children I see in therapy, now, dream of becoming firemen, CIA agents, nurses, and politicians. Our children hope to be in a safer world. They want to be empowered and feel safe and secure. As parents, how do we help our children believe we are capable of keeping them safe in a dangerous world?
- Instill hope in their daily lives
- Be available in simple ways
- Listen and legitimize their worries
- Create reliable routines
- Be a role model on how to handle uncertainty
- Give hugs and other reassuring forms of physical contact